Who doesn';t love a sun-kissed glow? Summer is a wonderful time to soak up the sun and enjoy outdoor activities. However, the increase in UV radiation during this season can take a toll on your skin if you are not careful which can lead to a long-term skincare concern dark patches. That's why incorporating sun protection into your summer skincare routine is crucial for maintaining healthy and youthful-looking skin. Let's dive deeper into the importance of SPF and how you can effectively protect your skin from harmful sun damage, tanning and dark patches.
Why is it important to add sunscreen to your daily skincare routine?
Adding sunscreen to your daily skincare regime becomes imperative to prevent the penetration of the harsh UVA and UVB rays of the sun that could lead towards damaging the skin if not addressed early. Additionally, a common myth is that tanning is claimed to be easily reversible. In most instances, it tends to leave behind dull skin with dark patches that can be challenging to get rid of for both women and men.
What is SPF?
SPF, or Sun Protection Factor, measures a sunscreen's ability to block out UVB rays, which are responsible for sunburns. When you apply sunscreen with SPF, it creates a shield that extends the time it takes for your skin to burn compared to if you were unprotected. Therefore, it's important to remember that sunscreen should be reapplied every two hours, regardless of the SPF level, as it can wear off or be wiped away.
How to easily incorporate sunscreen into your routine?
Sunscreen should be an integral part of your daily skincare routine, even if you are not planning to spend extended periods outdoors. UV rays can still reach your skin through windows, clouds, and reflective surfaces. Apply sunscreen as the last step of your morning skincare routine, after cleansing, toning, and moisturizing Sunscreens are available in various formats cream, gel, serum, so choose what you are most comfortable with as this ensures that your skin receives the maximum benefit from the protective ingredients.
Don't forget to cover all exposed areas of your body, including your face, neck, ears, arms, and legs. Often overlooked areas, such as the back of the neck, tops of the feet, and hands, are particularly susceptible to sunburn and should not be neglected and remember, reapplication is key!
How do you choose the right sunscreen?
When selecting a sunscreen, opt for a sunscreen enriched with SPF Niacinamide-C. The Serum-Boost Sunscreen Range comes in three variants in travel size and regular size, that are non-oily, don't leave behind a white cast and fades the dark patches created by sun exposure. Choose from three formulations, that can be molded basis what your skin requires
Consider a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. While higher SPFs provide a slightly increased level of protection, there is a diminishing return on effectiveness beyond SPF 30. The most crucial factor is to ensure you apply an adequate amount and reapply regularly. It is recommended to use the two-finger rule!
Here is your guide to achieve summer skin goals - nourished skin by incorporating sunscreen in your daily skincare routine:
1. Cleanse your skin twice a day with a gentle, non-stripping cleanser to remove dirt and impurities.
2. Exfoliation is crucial to remove dead skin cells and unclog pores, allowing your skin to breathe.
3. Summer heat can dehydrate your skin, so it's essential to keep it hydrated from within. Drink plenty of water throughout the day to maintain optimal hydration levels. Additionally, choose lightweight, oil-free moisturizers that provide hydration without feeling heavy or greasy.
4. The last step should be sunscreen with high SPF. If you apply makeup on a daily basis, make sure the last step in your skincare routine is a sunscreen and then move on to makeup!
5. Use the two-finger technique to apply the product, to ensure that the right quantity is absorbed on your skin and can protect you from harmful UV rays.
6. Apply your sun protectant at least 30 minutes before you step out into the sun.
7. Don't forget your neck and decolletage! An often-ignored area of the skin when using sunscreen, its vital to extend the application beyond just your face.
8. Additionally, remember to take extra care of your lips by applying a lip balm with SPF. Lips are often overlooked but can easily become dry, chapped, and prone to sunburn.
How can you retain that summer glow whilst protecting yourself from the sun?
While sunscreen is essential for protecting your skin from the sun, it's not the only tool in your arsenal. To further shield yourself from UV rays, consider wearing protective clothing, such as wide-brimmed hats, sunglasses with UV protection, and lightweight, long-sleeved clothing. Seek shade during the sun's peak hours when UV radiation is the strongest.
With the sun's rays shining down during the summer months, protecting your skin with SPF becomes an essential part of your skincare routine. By selecting a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an adequate SPF, applying it generously, and reapplying regularly, you can safeguard your skin from sunburn, premature aging, and skin cancer. So, make SPF your summertime best friend and enjoy the season while keeping your skin healthy, radiant, and protected.