Sunscreen is one of the most important steps in any skincare routine. Especially now that the temperature is constantly on a rise, you can't afford to step out of your home without wearing a good quantity of sunscreen. Sunscreen effectively protects you from harmful UV rays preserving your skin barrier. However, simply wearing some sunscreen is not enough. You need to understand and follow certain rules for sunscreen application to get the best out of it.
In this blog, we'll discuss the 8 dos and dots of sunscreen application that you need to keep in mind to get maximum protection from your sunscreen.
Sunscreen Rules: Do's of Applying Sunscreen
Here are some sunscreen rules on how to apply sunscreen to protect your skin from UVA and UVB rays:
1. Do Pick the Right Formulation- Pick a sunscreen that suits your skin. You can choose between thick creams and gel-based formulations depending on your skin type. For example, dry skin can benefit from creamy formulations like the POND'S Serum Boost Sunscreen Cream and oily skin can benefit from lightweight formulations like the POND'S Serum Boost Sunscreen Gel.
2. Do Choose the Right SPF- Dermatologists recommend a minimum of SPF 30 for your sunscreen to be effective. However, if you need some extra protection or plan to stay out in the harsh sunlight, you can choose an SPF 50 or SPF 60 as well.
3. Do Select Broad- Spectrum SPF only indicates the sunscreens ability to protect your skin from UVB rays. For the UVA rays, you need to check the PA rating as well. Opt for a minimum PA++ rating or check for the word broad spectrum in your sunscreen.
4. Do Use Sunscreen Daily- Sunscreen needs consistency. Irrespective of whether you step out in the sun or stay indoors, sunscreen application is non-negotiable. So, apply it daily without fail to protect your skin from sun damage and premature ageing.
5. Do Wear It at The Right Time- The right time to wear sunscreen is in the morning, 15 to 30 minutes before you step out in the sun. Even if your staying home, its suggested to apply sunscreen in the morning.
6. Do Apply on All Exposed Body Parts- The Sun does't pick and choose which body part to damage. So, it is suggested to apply sunscreen on all exposed parts of your body for optimum sun protection.
7. Do Look for Active Ingredients- Try to use sunscreens that offer multiple benefits such as the POND'S Serum Boost Sunscreens which comes with the power of Niacinamide-C. It not only protects your skin from sun damage but also fades dark spots, nourishes, and brightens the skin from within.
8. Do Apply Sunscreen Before Makeup- Sunscreen should always be the last step in your skincare routine and the first step before applying any makeup. However, you can reapply sunscreen on top of makeup using the stick or spray formulations.
Sunscreen Rules: Don'ts of Applying Sunscreen
Here are some sunscreen rules on some things you should avoid doing when applying sunscreen to get the maximum sun protection:
1. Don't Skip on Sunscreen- Less is never enough with sunscreen. Use the 2-finger method to get enough sunscreen for your face and neck. Use an ounce of sunscreen for your entire body.
2. Don't Apply on Damp Skin Damp skin- might dilute the formulation, making it less effective. So, always wait for your skin to dry before applying sunscreen.
3. Never forget or skip- reapplying sunscreen, especially if you're staying outdoors, sweating or swimming.
4. Don't Use Expired Sunscreen- This is applicable to all skincare products. Never use expired sunscreen as it can burn or irritate your skin leading to redness and breakouts.
5. Don't Forget the Patch Test- No matter how good the product is, always do a patch test when starting with a new sunscreen to avoid any skin irritations.
6. Don't Use the Same Sunscreen For Face And Body- Your face is more sensitive and thus needs formulations that especially cater to it. Don't use the same sunblock that you use on your arms and legs on your face.
7. Don't Use SPF Products- as Substitutes While it is always a good idea to layer up products with SPF such as the POND'S Bright Beauty Serum Cream with SPF 15 or the POND'S BB+ Cream with SPF 30, these can never replace an actual sunscreen. So don't skip your sunscreen just because some other products contain SPF. It's just added protection.
8. Dont Forget Your Lips - Your lips are exposed to sun rays too. So don't forget to give them a layer of protection as well. Use lip products that contain SPF to keep the sensitive skin on your lips protected from tanning and sun damage.
Now you know about some sunscreen rules that you absolutely must not forget. Incorporate these while applying sunscreen as a part of your daily morning skincare routine and see your skin transform.