A decade ago, the word serum evoked visuals of white lab coats and test-tubes. Serums were all about ingredients that were complicated to understand and even more difficult to pronounce. Fast-forward 10 years, and the rapid progress in skin technology and innovation have made serums the must-have in all our dressers. They take care of our skin as we get ready to go out into the world every morning. And they help restore it as we sleep at night.
What Are Serums and What Do They Do?
Serums are concentrated oil-or water-based products and contain active ingredients. Given their chemical formulation, serums are made up of smaller molecules that can penetrate deep into the skin. Hence, given their ability to address and resolve specific skin-concerns, serums are the skin super-heroes you always knew you needed! This is especially true for skin that has been exposed to harmful sun rays, external pollutants, and free radicals in makeup.
Based on an ingredients efficacy, a Serum goes deep into your skin to:
1. Boost skin hydration levels by locking in skin moisture and preventing excessive drying due to environmental damage.
2. Help reduce skin ageing through potent blends of skin-repairing and skin-protecting ingredients.
3. Reduce skin pigmentation and dark spots by fighting environmental aggressors like pollution and UV rays.
4. Fight acne breakouts, pimples and blemishes by calming skin inflammation and delivering antibacterial ingredients deep into the skin.
5. Nurture skin from within with skin-friendly vitamins and minerals for a youthful complexion and enviable radiance.
6. Improve skin texture and tone by boosting skin cell turnover and encouraging skin renewal.
7. Slow down the skin-ageing process by stimulating collagen production and enhancing skin elasticity with regular use.
8. The best news about serums is that they are quickly absorbed into our skin, and do not leave an oily residue (unlike moisturizers), leaving the skin soft and dewy.
Things To Keep in Mind Before Using Serums
We are often asked if every serum works for every skin-concern. The answer often is . Let us walk you through some fundamentals to keep in mind before you are tempted to try out that serum your friend swears by:
1. Customize by concern: It is very important that you incorporate a serum into your daily skincare routine, only after understanding the concerns it helps solve. For example, if you have dry skin, you will use a serum with glycerine or hyaluronic acid to help hydrate and lock in moisture. Similarly, serums with Vitamin C brighten the skin; retinol stimulates collagen generation and niacinamide reduces inflammation.
2. A little is enough: Given the concentration of ingredients in a serum, we suggest you use not more than a green-pea-sized quantity per routine. Too much of anything is always a bad thing. And in the case of serums, may cause redness and itching on the skin. And if you are wondering, how then does a tiny drop cover the full face; the trick is to apply your serum when your skin is just a little damp after cleansing or toning. For optimal results, it is recommended to apply a face serum morning and night as part of your daily routine. Face serums contain concentrated active ingredients so you can build up gradually over time depending on the strength of the formula start with using once per day or on alternate days, and increase the frequency if needed.
3. Layer mindfully: If you are using serums for more than one skin-concern, talk to your dermatologist on how best to apply these for the most effective results. For instance, if your skin is showing signs of sun damage, first apply the POND'S Serum boost Sunscreen serum SPF 50. Take a few drops of serum, apply it on damp skin and massage gently until fully absorbed. Follow this up with the POND'S Bright Beauty Anti-Pigmentation Serum. Squeeze the dropper to let out 3 drops on your face on the higher part of your cheek. Pat gently and blend the serum into your skin.
Different serums for different skin types:
Oily skin:- For oily skin, choose a lightweight, oil-free serum to help reduce excess oil production while providing deep hydration without making skin oily. Look for serums containing skin-balancing ingredients like Niacinamide, Zinc PCA and Salicylic Acid to help keep skin shine-free. These help to unclog pores and prevent breakouts while also boosting collagen production to reduce wrinkles.
Dry skin:- For dry skin, choose a hydrating serum packed with skin protectors and skin-repairing agents like Vitamin C, Hyaluronic Acid and Ceramides. These serums help to deeply hydrate the skin while preventing water loss to keep the skin soft and supple. The right serum can help you achieve the dewy glow you have always craved while also preventing skin ageing.
Combination skin:- Combination skin needs a bit of everything! Look for a lightweight but deeply hydrating serum that contains skin-nourishing oils along with oil-absorbing ingredients. Consider serums containing balancing ingredients like Glycolic Acid along with skin-repairing agents like Vitamin E and Niacinamide to give your skin the best of both worlds.
Normal skin:- Serums specifically designed to brighten skin, would be ideal as they are packed with powerful antioxidants that can help maintain a healthy complexion by reducing pigmentation while keeping skin well-hydrated.
However, both the POND'S Serum boost Sunscreen serum SPF 50 and the POND'S Bright Beauty Anti-Pigmentation Serum use ingredients that make it perfect to use for all skin-types. So go ahead, share with a friend!